Sunday 25 September 2011

[HUO7] NGOs and Speakers #2 : Yvonne Foong

Yvonne Foong 
Yvonne Foong is a young award winning author of ‘I’m not sick, just a bit unwell’. She is currently raising funds through sales of her book and HEART4HOPE T-shirts for her long-term and continuous healthcare needs as well as for her education. She won the World, ‘Young Achiever 2008′ award and AYA Dream Malaysia, ‘Most Outstanding Youth of the Year Award. 


--------------------------------------------------


Self-Advocacy: How to raise funds and get the help you need

Since the inception of my Heart4Hope campaign in December 2005, I have raised more than a million ringgit to obtain medical treatments in America. Eight out of ten surgeries of mine were performed in the United States. As a result, I have survived and still thriving after eight brain surgeries, one spine surgery and another on a peripheral nerve. No other Malaysian with Neurofibromatosis has survived this far.

How did I manage to raise the funds year after year, surgery after surgery? On the surface, I am selling things to earn the money. But is that all I am doing? What makes people want to get involved and support my cause?

As time passes, many have come to me for moral support and guidance on how to raise their own funds. From my experience in assisting others, I learn that few can see what my campaign is truly about. Hence, I decided to talk about it explicitly so that others facing similar difficulties can do the same to acquire the help they need.

Do come and join us in this 40-minute session to learn something that can help you one day.

0 comments: